HOW TO READ CUT & FILL
FEET, TENTHS AND HUNDREDTHS
FILL BLUE CUT RED
1. Set rod foot on the elevation you wish to use as your reference; i.e. finish grade, subgrade, etc.
2. Run laser receiver up or down the side of the rod and / or raise or lower front rod section until you get the “on grade” signal on your laser detector.
3. Loosen the tape lock pin (lower knob) and disengage the tape lock pin from the tape grommet.
4. Roll the tape until the laser detector pointer is at zero (between the blue and red sections).
5. Lock the tape by engaging the tape lock pin into the closest grommet, then tighten the knob.
6. To determine the amount of cut or fill at any location within the range of your laser, set the rod down and find the “on grade” signal with your laser detector. Read across from the detector pointer and the tape will tell you how much to cut or fill.
Rod reading is in “BLUE” section 1.75 feet. Existing grade is too LOW.
You FILL 1.75 feet to get up to grade.
Rod reading is in “RED” section .80 of a foot. Existing grade is too HIGH.
You CUT .80 of a foot to get down to grade.